Blog Archive

Thursday 9 January 2014

The Secret Power of Faith

I want to share a very personal story today. 

One of the greatest and most important lessons I have learned in my life, is that there is power in faith. I was taught that by the example of my mom, Eydie. My Mom is my absolute hero. There is no person in this world that is kinder or more gentle than she is. She is the greatest example of faith and trust in the Lord in my life, because almost ten years ago she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, or MS.

MS is a disease where your immune system targets a sheath around your nerves called 'myelin'. When that happens it can cause many different symptoms ranging from numbness to blindness or paralysis. I was still fairly young when I found out about it, and I can just remember feeling that no one in the world deserved to have a disease that can't be cured. Especially my mom. 

The doctors gave her a few different options and gave her a list of medications and prescribed drugs that she would have to take to treat the symptoms. After some research, study, and a lot of prayer my mom decided to try to battle ms a different way. She decided to battle it purely naturally by changing her diet and taking supplements in place of the doctors recommended prescriptions. There wasn't a night that went by for several years that I didn't pray for the lord to take away her ms, or at least make her strong. 

After a full year she went back to the doctor for a check up. The doctor found that she had no sores or spots on her brain, and told her she was 'very lucky'. Later I learned that The Lord had promised my mom any blessing she would ask for, even to remove her condition. And with that promise she prayed that our family would be kept safe and be able to be together forever, instead of praying to be healed.

Faith precedes the miracle

My mom still battles with her ms, but she presses on in faith. I know that she receives strength from on high that isn't her own, and I know that without faith, it would not be possible for her to overcome her trials.

One of my favourite scriptures is counsel Alma the prophet gave to his son:

"I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day." Alma 38:5

There is a secret power in faith. It will help us to stand strong through Christ our saviour. Even though what we face is immense, and sometimes incurable, our burdens WILL be lightened if we will just have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment